VOLUNTEER in AUSTRALIA or NEW ZEALAND
Explore the country by working to conserve it! Cultural Embrace by API partners with Australia and New Zealand's leading conservation volunteer organization to offer exciting conservation projects that enable you to protect, preserve, and restore Australia and New Zealand's unique and beautiful environment.
Roll your sleeves up and be part of a team of up to 10 volunteers from all around the world and ages (18-70). Each team is led by an experienced Team Leader - who are trained in the safe management of projects, and they are enthusiastic and an expert in the practical conservation projects. You will travel to a different project location every week or two, and will usually undertake different types of project activities to peak your interests. We incorporate as much variety into our program as possible, while achieving our essential conservation outcomes.
You must arrive at your local volunteer site on any Friday throughout the year. You will be given detailed directions to make your own way to your project's office to meet your Team Leader, fellow volunteers, and settle in to your volunteer accommodations.
Although good health and a positive attitude are essential, you do not need any prior skills or experience, as we will provide all training required. Projects normally run for 5 days per week, with one or two days free per week to relax or sightsee. Typical hours are from 8am–4pm daily, although this varies on some projects when required by seasonal conditions or project activities. After the minimum at each project location, you can opt to work at another another stunning destination in Australia or New Zealand!
So stop dreaming about it and begin your search for a wonderful volunteer project today! For a first-hand experience of being abroad in Australia or New Zealand, read blogs of our current and past participants and staff.
Volunteer Projects Available
Each placement will vary since there are so many different conservation projects across Australia and New Zealand. Although projects vary according to seasonal conditions and conservation priorities, we do our best to ensure an assortment of projects or locations during each project. Typical projects include:
• Tree planting
• Erosion and salinity control
• Seed collection
• Construction and maintenance of walking tracks
• Endangered flora and fauna surveys
• Weed control
• Habitat restoration
• Heritage restoration
Sample projects taken on by past conservation volunteers:
- Reconstructing a walking trail up Cradle Mountain in Tasmania
- Planting rainforest tress in the wet tropics of Queensland
- Collecting seeds from native plants at Wilson’s Promontory in Victoria
- Putting in fox baits to protect native animals in the Flinders Range in South Australia
- Planting native trees on one of the Sydney Harbor Islands in New South Wales
- Building walking tracks at Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park, NT.
- Creating habitat corridors for the Cassowary at Mission Beach, QLD.
- Installing fencing to protect coastal dunes in Waterhouse Conservation Area, TAS.
Program Highlights and Benefits
Cultural Embrace by API pre-arranges your volunteer project before you leave home to ensure an easy and hassle-free transition to your new life abroad.
Accommodations vary with each project and location. Typical housing includes caravans, hostels, shearers’ quarters, bunkhouses, and camping (tents supplied). You should bring a sleeping bag and mat. All food provided. Breakfasts and lunches are typically self-made. Dinner is usually group effort in preparing and cleaning.
Airport shuttle pick-up and transfer to local volunteer office.
Training about the local community, communities, project duties, and lifestyle will be provided by your experienced Team Leader.
Volunteer t-shirt and/or guidebook will be provided on-site.
Transportation to and from volunteer sites is included throughout the program.
Before your departure, Cultural Embrace by API will send you material filled with useful tips, advice, information, and your insurance card to prepare you for the amazing adventure of living and working abroad.
Cultural Embrace by API provides English-speaking representation in the United States and France prior to, during, and after your placement.
Not sure if volunteering in Australia or New Zealand is exactly what you are looking for? Check out working in Australia instead.
In order to participate in this volunteer program, Cultural Embrace by API requires that you:
- You must be between the ages of 18 to 70. Or, if younger than 18, you must have parental or guardian consent.
- Good physical health
- Committed to duration of project
- Good team player
- Enjoy working and serving others outdoors
- Open to foreign cultures and living abroad.
- Responsible and dedicated to full-term of commitment
2011 Program Fees
Projects located throughout Australia and New Zealand
Click here for quick tips on how to make a smooth and successful placement.
How to Apply
1. Obtain the Volunteer Application Forms & Procedures documents in one of two ways:
(a) Download the forms Volunteer Application and Volunteer in Australia and New Zealand Program Details and FAQ.
(b) Call Cultural Embrace by API at 1-512-600-8900 or Skype: Cultural.Embrace to have the forms mailed to you within 3-4 days.
2. Read the instructions carefully and complete all forms.
3. Submit your completed application packet to:
301 Camp Craft Road, Suite 100
Austin, TX 78746 USA
Completed packet should include:
- Signed Volunteer Program Application and Agreement
- Copy of your passport - information page only
- Cover Letter explaining what you want to do and why you want to volunteer in Australia.
- Two references: preferably professional references and/or character reference
- Doctor’s note verifying that you are in excellent mental and physical health
- Copy of Police Clearance (obtainable from your community’s local police station)
- Two 1½" x 2" official passport style photos, with your name printed on the back
- One smiling full-length picture of yourself (for local coordinator to identify you
US$150 non-refundable deposit (credited towards your program fee)
Upon receipt of your application, a Cultural Embrace by API coordinator will contact you for a 20-30 minute phone interview. Once we accept you in to our program, you will receive an invoice for the remainder of your program fee. In order for us to contact our local partners to start your placement process, we require at least 50% of your program fee.
We recommend submitting your application and program fee at least 12-16 weeks prior to your desired start date in order for us to organize and arrange your volunteer placement.
*Cultural Embrace by API requires an expedited application fee for those applying 12 weeks or less before the desired date of departure. Applications received 8-12 weeks prior to desired departure date will be charged $150. Applications received fewer than 8 weeks before the desired departure date will be charged $250.
To follow current and past participants abroad, join our Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Blogger community. For any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can call us at 1-512-600-8900, or Skype: Cultural.Embrace.